Sunday, July 10, 2011

A SAVING GRACE OF A LONG HOT SUMMER!!!

Visions of desert sand, a palm tree oasis, Arabian Nights, swirl through my head during my brief summer fling with figs. They are a perfect fruit. Never a worry if they are sweet enough, never filled with worms or bugs, easy to freeze, dry, or preserve.  A perfect cure for a childs sweet tooth! Surprisingly enough a lot of people have never experienced the taste of a fresh fig. I had some in the market this weekend and asked several visitors if they liked fresh figs. The general reply was, " I don't think so!" ( Never confuse a fresh fig with Fig Newtons) So, I asked them to try one. " Oh, My!" was the comment that was repeated over and over. "I did not know that they would be this good!" Gratefully, with the heat, the fig season is upon us, I am gathering all that I can while the crop is flourishing. There will be more fig preserves in the market, as well as fresh figs for the snacking. The second planting of sweet corn will also be ready for this weekend's market. The crops that we are irrigating are holding their own, and we are still harvesting lots of melons, some squash and cucumbers, peppers, a few tomatoes, eggplant, the different varieties of peach trees are ripening sporadically, and of course the sweet corn. We planted pumpkins this week! If we can keep the maurading grasshoppers at bay, we may have some pumpkins this fall! The MARKET HOURS: Friday and Saturday from noon until 4:00 pm. Special appointments can be made for dairy pickup through the week. From our farmstead to your table, thank you for all of your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment