Wednesday, June 27, 2012

IT'S SUMMERTIME ON THE FARM!!!

I am rekindling my love/hate relationship with Okra. Every year, I tell the Farmer, 3, T,H,R,E,E, rows of okra will feed the world. His reply is "Well, I have all of this extra seed, might as well plant it". Knowing he will not have to pick it. (That responsibility is the Farmers Wife and the Farmers son's). By the end of the first picking, I am grumbling and scratching. This year we got the hairbrained idea to plant Dwarf Okra. Now, I am having to bend over to pick it. If it weren't for the fact that I could eat my weight in fried okra, I would pass it by. As Okra is one of the only crops that thrives in the heat, there is an abundance in the summertime. I will not fail to mention my passion for gumbo...... seafood, chicken, sausage, any way it is cooked. So, the Farmer will keep planting, and I will keep picking, begrudgingly, but I will keep picking. The watermelons are coming on, and we have picked a few cantaloupe.  The peaches are ripening tree by tree. The tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, peppers, squash, are still making. The Farmer planted a second round of potatoes, not sure if they would make, as they were planted much later than normal. We dug them up this week, they made more than the first round. WHO KNEW!!! The heat is taking a toll, but we are irrigating what we can. We have had some new kids born this week, some of our doelings were bred late in the Spring. The canner has been going nonstop with pickles, tomatoes, corn, jam, getting the harvest put up for the winter. My favorite day in summer is June 21, not because it is the first day of summer, but because after that day, the days start getting shorter! MARKET HOURS:Saturday from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Special appointiments can be made throughout the week for dairy pickup. From our farmstead to your table, thank you for all of your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment