Saturday, December 15, 2012

CHRISTMAS TREATS FROM THE FARM KITCHEN!!!

This is the time of the year, when a good share of the kitchen gadgets get to shine! The chocolate and caramel dippers, the cake pop maker, the nut roaster, the dehydrator, not to mention the choppers, mixers, and whiskers. The kitchen floor stays crunchy and sticky, no matter how many times I mop, the counter tops are covered with completed and soon to be completed Christmas goodies. The Farmer claims he begins his annual month of bachelorhood, as I entrench myself in sugar, flour, nuts, chocolate.... early in the morning, until late in the evening. My granny Venna, was a top knotch baker and candy maker. People would consider themselves privileged if they received some of her Divinity or something she called Penoche. Until I completely trust my candy thermomoter, I will put those recipes aside.  I am really an average candy, cake, and cookie maker,  and I have probably  have overweight, diabetic chickens, as they get a good share of my goofs, of which there are quite a few, but it has become a tradition for me that heralds the holiday season. I anxiously stock up on all of the ingredients that may be needed for peanut brittle, peppermint bark, turtles, pralines, nut clusters, English toffee, jar breads,  and more. What I don't give away we sell in the market, so if you have a hankering for some pretty good Christmas sweets, stop by. It kind of warms the cockles of my heart when when someone asks " Did you make those caramel chocolate pretzel poles this year? they were sure enough yummy! " The hard freeze we had, nipped a lot of the winter crops back, we were able to save a few things. The greenhouse has produced lots of tomatoes, so there will be tomatoes for Christmas. The Farmers son is shelling pecans, so we also have Texas pecans for sale. Alas, the goat milk season has ended. We will begin again next February. The cows are diligently picking up the slack. Due to some crossovers from goat milk to cow milk it would be a good idea to call ahead for availability. MARKET HOURS: Friday from noon until 4:00 PM, Saturday from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Special appointments can be made for dairy pickup throughout the week.  From our farmstead to your table, thank you for all of your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment