Tuesday, January 31, 2012

OREGON TRAIL SOURDOUGH BREAD!!!

My new obsession! Who knew that bread could consume ones life! I have spent the last few weeks studying, gathering tools,( I had no clue what a banneton was), and equipment, reading about crusts and crumbs. I have baked bread most of my adult life...... just took a little flour, yeast, salt, water, oil and tadahhh! Bread! But sourdough is like the rocket science of breadmaking. I came across a sourdough starter some time back, originally from 1847, and used on the Oregon Trail. That alone tweaked my curiosity. I obtained some of it, trying to get up the nerve to see what bread with a hundred and sixty year old starter would taste like! It has been dormant in my refrigerator, getting a little nourishment here and there, when I was recycling leftovers and would shuffle it around. I had been hesitant to give it a try, as sourdough bread is my favorite, and knowing that if I tried it and it did not live up to my expectations, it would  put me in the funk for days to come.  The beginning of a  New Year and wanting to broaden my horizons, found me activating the starter, searching for the perfect flour, all the right tools, thoroughly studying different experiences of others with the sourdough bread venture, and this is where my quest has led. They look right darn tasty, if I do say so myself! Mind you, since I have also started curtailing my intake of carbs, I have not tasted one morsel of my sourdough bread. My recommendation comes from the three days from start to finish that it takes to make it. Anything that takes that much time, has got to be good! The bread is available in the Market on the weekends, at $3.50 a boule'. MARKET HOURS: Friday and Saturday from noon until 4:00 pm.  Call throughout the week for dairy pickup.  From our farmstead to your table thank you for all of your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment