Friday, March 26, 2010

Gambling is not something I do on a regular basis, I am a sure bet kind of person, but today I am going to take a big chance and plant some tomatoes and peppers. The anticipation is just to hard to resist when the weather is warm and sunny and the ground is moist and soooooo inviting. The plants in the greenhouse are clammoring for fresh air and bees. I rationalize that I have planted an abundance of starts, so if I have to replace a few O.K., if not then I am that much further ahead with an earlier harvest. I have gotten into the habit of getting up in the morning before the sun rises and taking my flashlight to the fields before the wind starts to blow and checking the progress of what we are growing. I will never tire of the miracle of what one small seed or cutting will produce! Speaking of bees, again, did you know that the queen bee takes a "virgin flight" when she is ready to become a mother and flies about 200 feet up in the air emits this strange erotic sound, not unlike the song of a siren and calls all of the eligible man bees in the neighborhood to come mate with her. After she has had her fill, literally, she flies back to the hive to live a life of celebacy and produce baby bees for the rest of her life. The man bees fall to the ground dying because their private parts have fallen off! Oh Dear! .Hmmmmmm! Makes you think doesn't it? From our farmstead to your table, thank you for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment