Sunday, March 28, 2010

I do believe Spring has finally Sprung! I am going to go out on a limb and put away the electric heaters, and hook up the watering hoses. It will soon be time to start irrigating the crops. This weekend we got most of the raised bed garden planted so now we can just sit back water, and wait. We are going to make the mulched beds in the big garden this week so we can plant the rest of the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, cukes, etc. The seeds for row crops like beans, corn, okra, peas, are planted straight in the ground. Rocky has been preparing a new section for melons and pumpkins, hopefully it will be composted enough to plant this season. I must brag about my Christmas present that all of you who come to the farm will see and possibly try. Most girls like jewelry, or clothes, or a new car, my heart goes aflutter when my husband buys me farm machinery. I have a fully automated, riding produce picker, and I would almost bet that none of you have ever seen anything like it! I can't even begin to describe it, you just have to come see it! Just to tweak your curiosity ..... when you pick, you lay down on it like you would a massage table, now I have you wondering , don't I? This week will be busy, busy, busy, as the weather is supposed to be warm, so it will be pleasant to do "farm work". The baby goats are growing fast, we only have the little girls, as all of the little boys are spoken for. We are still having an occasional birth, about 10 does are left to kid, then we will have a break before the next round of babies due in June. All of our little "teenage" girls from last year will have their first kids at that time, about 16 of them. We bred them later so that we would have milk through the winter, when the demand is so high, as all of the goat dairies normally quit milking for a spell. Then we will be done with babies for the year. From our Farmstead to your table, thank you for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment