Friday, March 19, 2010

Good Day to all on this blustery Friday. We are battening down the hatches and preparing for the winter blast that is supposed to hit tomorrow. We keep dragging out the heaters and heat lamps then put them back in storage, then drag them back out again. The critters are totally confused. Rocky is back at the fire station after a two week hiatus here on the farm. He was anxious to go back to work to get a vacation! We are continuing to plant when we get a break in the weather. We planted some new variety of blackberries that produce through the summer until frost. I will believe it when I see it! The bees are making fine work of the peach blossoms that are opening, I am gathering up all of my bed sheets and table cloths just in case it dips to freezing, I will be out covering up the blooms. I am going to make sure that I get some peaches this year, even if I have to dance around the trees with a long extension cord and a blow dryer. The strawberries are just starting to bloom, so they should be alright, as the black plastic they are on holds heat from the sun and keeps the soil underneath warm. I am excited to see friends from the past as everyone is coming to the farm and catching up on their dairy supply. We will have goat cheese again in a week or two, as there will be extra milk to make cheese, soap, yogurt, kefer, buttermilk, etc. Time to go get the cows up for the mornings milking. They stand at the gate at approx. 6:00pm every evening (you can almost set your watch by them) and hollar at me until I let them in to the paddock. LuLu lives to eat and since we took her off of the "Jenny Craig" diet she was on while she was pregnant, she does not let us forget when it is meal time. Our free range animals are very lazy and would much rather you place before them an abundant assortment of hay and grasses all cut and neatly piled in a feed trough, than have to meander to the open pasture to forage for themselves. Oh, speaking of bees , when I mentioned bees a bit ago, did you know that when winter and the cold weather comes the female worker bees kill all of the male drones in the hive and throw them out the front door because they are lazy, and eat too much? Hummmmmmmmm. Makes you think doesn"t it? From our farm to your table, thank you for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment